Dr Riggs is a licensed psychologist and expert in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for psychosis with 17 years of experience working in this field in both London, UK and the US. She earned her Doctorate in clinical psychology at Royal Holloway, University of London, UK in 2005, during which time she was trained in CBTp. She completed her Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the Aaron T. Beck Psychopathology Research Unit, University of Pennsylvania, working on a pilot study for CBT for negative symptoms, and pioneering training in CBTp in community mental health agencies. She moved to NYC in 2011 and has been working in public and private healthcare settings, practicing and teaching and training mental health professionals in CBTp since this time. She has been an invited member of the Annual International CBT for Psychosis Research Meeting since 2009, and is a Founding Member and current President of the North American CBT for psychosis Network. She founded NYC CBTp in 2016 the first ever private practice group dedicated to providing evidence based cognitive behavioral therapy for people with psychosis.
- Cognitive and Behavioral Consultants, LLP, Westchester & Manhattan, NY
- NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County, Brooklyn, NY
- Horizon House Inc, Philadelphia, PA (as part of the Beck Initiative)
- South West London and St Georges NHS Trust, UK
- Central and North West London Foundation NHS Trust, UK
- Ferkhauf Graduate School of Psychology, Yeshiva University, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
- State University of New York, Downstate Medical School, Brooklyn, NY
- Aaron T. Beck Psychopathology Research Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- New York State licensed psychologist (018926)
- Academy of Cognitive Therapy - Certified member and Diplomate
- National Register of Health Service Providers - Registrant (53117)
- the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapists - Full Member
- the Health Professions Council (UK equivalent of licensure) - Registered Clinical Psychologist UK (PYL18864)
- the International Society for Psychological and Social Approaches to Psychosis - Member
- Riggs, Sally .E. (in press). CBT for psychosis on the inpatient unit: the role of the clinical psychologist. In M. Turel, A. Grinshpoon & M. Siglag (Eds) The Practice of Clinical Psychology in the Psychiatric Hospital.
- Riggs, Sally E., Arnold, Kyle, Colon, Erik, Feldman, Elise, Huanthisong, Pongsak, Hyacinthe, Beatrice, Indelicato, Heather-Ayn, Lee, Eunkyung, Garrett, Michael (2016) Can Frontline Mental Health Staff in Public Psychiatry Settings Be Trained to Provide Effective Psychotherapy For Psychosis, If Given the Chance? American Journal of Psychotherapy 70 (3) 301-32
- Riggs, Sally E & Creed, Torrey A. (2016). A model to transform treatment for psychosis using CBT informed interventions for the mental health milieu. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpra.2016.08.001
- Riggs, Sally E. (2015) Brief cognitive therapy for schizophrenia interventions for the therapeutic milieu. The Behavior Therapist. 38 (4) 97-100
- Riggs, Sally E., Grant, Paul M, Perivoliotis, Dimitri & Beck, Aaron T. (2012) Cognitive Insight: A Qualitative Review. Schizophrenia Bulletin 38 (2) 338-350
- Riggs, Sally E., Stirman, Shannon W. & Beck, Aaron T. (2012) Training Community Mental Health Agencies in CT for Schizophrenia. The Behavior Therapist. 35(2) 34-39
- Riggs, S.E. (May 2018) Can all clinicians be trained to competence in CBTp? How much is enough training? Panel discussion: Annual International CBT for Psychosis Research Meeting, Oxford, UK.
- Riggs, Sally E. (December 2017) The ABCs of CBTp: an introduction to Cognitive behavioral therapy for homeless individuals experiencing psychotic symptoms. Grand Rounds, Project for Psychiatric Outreach to the Homeless (PPOH)/Janian Medical Care, New York, NY.
- Riggs, Sally E. (April 2017) Introduction to CBT for psychosis. Colloquium for Doctoral Students in Clinical Psychology, Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology, Yeshiva University, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
- Riggs, Sally.E. (April 2017) Clinical considerations in early psychosis: detection, assessment, referral and treatment. The Counseling Center, The City College of New York, New York, NY
- Riggs, Sally E. (April 2107) Introduction to CBT for psychosis. Psychology Department Didactic presentation, NYC Health+Hospitals/Elmhurst, Queens, NY
- Riggs, Sally E. (November 2015) Training staff in CBT informed interventions for the inpatient psychosis milieu. First author panel presentation. 49th Annual ABCT Convention, Chicago, IL
- Riggs, Sally E. (January 2015) CBT for psychosis in the public heathcare system. Grand rounds, department of psychiatry, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
- Riggs, Sally E. (May 2013) Cognitive Therapy for Schizophrenia on the Inpatient Unit Behavioral Health CE presentation, Kings County Hospital Center, Brooklyn, NY
- Riggs, Sally E. (February 2012) Cognitive Therapy for Schizophrenia in Everyday Interactions Behavioral Health CE presentation, Kings County Hospital Center, Brooklyn, NY
- Riggs, Sally E. (November 2011) Innovative Applications of CBT for Psychosis in Practice: Working Across Different Levels of Symptoms and Functioning. Panel presentation. 45th Annual ABCT Convention, Toronto, CA
- Riggs, Sally E. (May 2010) Strengthening the emotional wellsprings: a case study of CBT for deficit syndrome schizophrenia. 11th Annual International CBT for Psychosis conference, Edinburgh, UK
- Riggs, Sally E. (April 2009) Cognitive Therapy for Schizophrenia in Everyday Interactions. The Seventh Annual Conference for Direct Service Professionals, Philadelphia, PA